Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Orphanage Visit

Yesterday we were able to visit the orphanage. This was something I thought would not be bale to happen so I was very excited to learn we could spend time at the place Lily called home for her first 8 months. It was a long day full of lots of emotions and some things I will wait and share with only Lily when she is older. It took us over 2 hours to get there and the drive is a memorable one. As we left the city of Nanchang we drove through the countryside and it was a lot to take in. Water Buffalo were in the fields and chickens roamed freely. The house were 2 story brick structures that looked half finished. Some had no doors or windows. We entered Yugan City and that is a small city but not as built up as Nanchang. When we arrived at the orphanage we were fed lunch and although I was unable to eat most of it I tried to be as polite as possible. We were then shown the floor with the babies rooms. I has seen a video of the orphanage so I was prepared and that defiantly helped. Lily's room was the last room at the end of the hall but her nanny had gone home for a few days and took the 2 other babies with her. I was disappointed I was unable to meet and thank the nanny but we did get pictures of Lily's crib and the room. Lily was held by the the assistant director and other nannies and she seemed happy to see them but was happy when she would come back to Patrick and myself. It was very difficult to see the other babies still there and to know this was where my baby spent her first 8 months. Although it was nice my orphanage standards and is not where I would want to spend one night. There is no doubt Lily was loved and well cared for and she is healthy (other than fighting a stomach thing) so I guess it shows you how little we really need to survive in life. She had the most important things; love, shelter and food.
Lily is still sick and can not keep anything down. She will drink the ceralyte so she is hydrated. Even is spite of this her personality is really shining through and she is really a happy baby!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in tears Melissa. I am so happy that you all were able to go to the Orphanage. You have memories that you can now share with Lily. The country side of Jiangxi is something isn't it? it is eye opening...

Anonymous said...

Ok tha was me Melissa...

Hugs
Susan

Abby & Michael said...

We're so happy for you to have had this opportunity! Also, many thanks for forwarding our note and pics of Mia to Yugan. You can't imagine how meaningful it is for us to make contact with them, thank them, and let them know how well Mia is doing.....hope Lily is feeling better soon. That's a real stresser when they're sick....we've been there! We hope you have easier, more enjoyable days ahead. Thanks again for forwarding the info, we are truly grateful.

Anonymous said...

She's amazing! I'm sad that you are dealing with stomach bug abroad but she sounds like quite a little trooper. Hoping and praying this bug moves on out as soon as possible. We are so thrilled for you guys and can't wait for you to return with your precious daughter so that we can meet her.... The pics and video are incredible....this technology is the best!
Love her wardrobe, by the way.
Hugs,
Susan, Greg, Maeve & Isla

Jen said...

Missy and Pat,
We are hanging on every word you write and every pic you post. We too are falling in love with Lily. It's now less than a week until we can all welcome Lily into our lives and families. With tears in my eyes - enjoy the rest of your journey in China and God bless you all - can't wait to see soon. xoxo Jen + fam