Sunday, October 19, 2008

Arrived in Nanchang

After another looong day we are now in Nanchang, hours away from having Lily placed in our arms! Our day started today at the Forbidden Palace. The only words I can use to describe that is magnificent and massive! It was very cool to be in a place that is 500 years old! While there I received a few extra looks and one couple wanted their picture with me. It was very funny!! They do not see to many blondes over here! After the Forbidden Palace we went to "Old Beijing" that was very cool! Each couple had a rickshaw ride and we saw the oldest part of Beijing that is the original downtown area. The roads were very narrow with courtyard style housing. It was close to a river lined with quaint shops and restaurants. We had the opportunity to visit a family's home. The area was very cool and there were even quite a few pubs and bars. Unfortunately, we did not have a lot of time there so no time for a beer. I will let you all know that Pat is liking the Tsing Sao beer and is having plenty of opportunity to drink a few glasses at each meal! We headed to the airport for our 5:30 flight and arrived at the hotel around 8:45. All sorts of emotions ran through me as we walked into our room and saw the crib. We quickly got busy and unpacked our things and so we know have a diaper station, bottle station and clothing station all set up in our room! We hosted a little pre baby gathering in our room to go over diapering and bottle instructions with all the first time parents. Our group has a whole lot of nervous energy going on right now. We are scheduled to leave the hotel tomorrow morning at 10:00 for the provincial offices and should have the babies around 10:30. We have lots of paperwork to fill out tomorrow so I am not sure when I will get a chance to post. We are very excited right now and hopefully we will get some sleep tonight! Please pray that Lily handles the transition as best as possible and that we can comfort her.

Forbidden City

This man and his wife wanted to pose with me! It was very funny and I think it's a riot that I am so much bigger than him!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an exciting day...I feel like we are all there with you. Thanks for sharing all of this on your blog, it really makes it so exciting. I hope you are holding Lily right now, I am sure you won't put her down for a long time. Congratulations!
XOXO Carolyn

Anonymous said...

i agree with carolyn, i feel like i am there with you too! i can't get through your blogs without getting a little misty! what a journey you have been on. i think you will have lily in your arms in 12hours, omg. we're thinking of you every second!

Sharon said...

I'm with Pat...I loved the Tsing Tao beer!! Even my sister liked it and she's not a beer drinker.

Let the countdown begin!!!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

I'm with the other gals..Thank you! This is SO exciting... I love your pictures! Pat with the Coors Light made me laugh out loud. I definitely get misty with each post these days.... I CANNOT WAIT for the next one!!!!!!!!
Hugs and Kisses.... Isla can't wait to meet her new BFF beach buddy!

Anonymous said...

I am reliving our trip all over again! We got our girls in Nanchang as well, right around the same time in the a.m. as you. I remember that nervous energy so well...gathering in the lobby, crossing the street to the civil affairs office, going up in the elevator and waiting for the babies to arrive - the electricity was palpable!

Enjoy every second and we are all living it with you!
best,
Susan

Nina said...

You're getting so close (as I write this, you probably have Lily in your arms, since you're 15 hours ahead)... I'm so thrilled for you!!!!

John & Michelle said...

Your journey is almost complete! Looking forward to pictures of the 3 of you together!!!
(((HUGS)))
Michelle

Abby & Michael said...

Hi Melissa and Pat,

I'm glad you are having an amazing time. We felt the same way when we traveled. I'm sure you'll be waking up soon as I remember at 4:00 AM I was downstairs in the lobby with other couples from our trip cahtting and hoping to let the chinese staff at the front desk let us in the gym. It didn't happen. SO we watched our clocks ticking away and took a walk outside with Dr. Steve. Is he on your trip? Who are your guides? We had Helen and Evelyn from Nanchang. They were wonderful! We too had some many emotions: anxiety, excitement, just feeling surreal.In just a few hours Lily will be placed in your arms - forever! Enjoy the moment and know all your fans in the USA can't wait for you and Pat. All the best. Great job blogging. Mike and I are glued to the computer as you can see.
Abby

Cheryl said...

Great photos, Melissa! I'm loving your blog -- enjoy yourselves!! I can't wait to see you with Lily!!!
Panda hugs, Cheryl

Diane said...

Hi Melissa and Patrick! I can't believe you are only a few hours away from holding Lily! I think I know a little bit how you are feeling and this day will forever be in your hearts! I am so excited and happy for you!
Love,
Di

Paula said...

I am so excited for you!!! Like earlier posters I also get misty reading your blog.

For some reason I can't send mail on Dave & Sandy's blog so please let them know I'm thinking of them as well.

I can't wait to see photos of the new babies!!!

the mommy said...

I can feel your excitement.. that moment when you walk in that room exhausted and see that crib is overwhelming. Smart move getting things set up and ready for tomorrow....

Tsing Tao ROCKS! It is one of Riz favorites....

deeb830 said...

We're reading this blog with so much excitement and anticipation for you. I can only imagine how you and Pat are feeling! We're thinking about you and praying for a wonderful day tomorrow with your beautiful daughter! Looking forward to the pictures of all of you together! XOXOX D&R

Jen said...

Hi Missy & Pat!
We can't believe this day has finally come! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with everyone. It's priceless. We are so happy for you and can't wait to see a pic of you holding your sweet baby girl. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers! Love you, Jen, Per, Noah & Emma

S and H said...

Melissa, I know how excited you guys are! I hope you have her in your arms by now!!! By the way, LOVE your blog!!