Saturday, October 18, 2008

Beijing at Night

The fun just continues! We had our first Peking Duck Dinner and it was delicious and then we strolled through the food vendors. It was a strip of food vendors that sell everything and I mean everything!! Enjoy the pictures of the fried starfish and all the other delicious offerings! I tried fried pumpkin and it was good but unfortunately the smell of the street prevented me from eating anything! We saw so many new and amazing things today that it is difficult for me to capture it all with words. The stroll through the park gave us a glimpse into the life of "older" Beijing residents. I got the feeling that they were at the park for exercise as much as for socialization. We saw lots of group stretching, dancing, ping pong and a game like hackey sack. The Summer Palace, where the Emperor would spend his summer, was full of beautiful courtyards and a man made lake. Climbing the Great Wall was more challenging than I ever expected! The steps are so steep and there are just so many of them! The lower part of the wall was very crowded and it was amazing to see people carrying babies, smoking cigarettes and talking on cell phones while trying to climb the wall. The views kept getting better the higher we went and imagine my surprise to see a toilet and souvenir vendors past the 4th tower! That is quite a hike to work!! I will never forget climbing the "Great Wall Of China"!! On our way back to the hotel we were able to drive past the Olympic cube and birds nest. The traffic was unbelievable and a 45 minute drive took us 2 hours! A couple of thing I saw or just think are interesting: Children go to the bathroom anywhere, like right in front of you on a sidewalk! Traffic is just like they say and I am very glad we are in a huge bus, that mean we usually win the traffic war! I can't believe I can function on so little sleep.. I guess it is preparing me for whats to come! I have become very good at bartering my prices down.. even if I only save a buck its a thrill! Even though kids pee everywhere the streets are pretty clean of litter. I am impressed with how many signs are in English. Tonight was when the realization set in that we are less than 48 hours away from Lily. Having this time in Beijing to truly experience the Chinese culture is such a gift and I tried to soak everything up. I can only hope thay one day we are able to return with all our children. Tomorow we visit the Forbidden City and taking a tour of "old" Beijing. At the end of the day we are on a plane to Nanchang. We are so close to what we have been waiting for for 3 years!!

Peking Duck

10 comments:

Mike and Rhonda said...

So excited to FINALLY see you guys in China. Just a few more hours and you will be HOLDING Lily. OK my heart is pounding reading that.

I also wanted to let you know that we received our referral for Hannah yesterday. She is perfect and beautiful.

Have a wonderful amazing time.

Sharon said...

That Wall is a bear!! I only made it to the second watchpost! What a slug. That's cool that you got to see the street vendors at night. Enjoy tomorrow...you have a full day!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

OMG I'm so excited you are posting from CHINA! I had no idea you were going to do this and just wanted to catch up on the days before you left. This is amazing and what a gift for the boys!! We are so excited for you guys and can't wait to meet Lily!!!!! Can you post what the time difference is (or what the date/time is here) I cannot figure out where you are with date/time. Can't wait to see pics with you and that little cherub! Yippy!! ~Smiths

Stephe said...

Yeah, you're in China!!!!! I'm so excited!!! I can't wait to see you both holding little Lily in your arms. I can barely wait!!! Enjoy every moment!!!

Nina said...

So exciting to see you in China. I can't wait for those photos of you with Lily!!

Doreen said...

Pinch yourselves, you are in China, finally, for the best reason ever! Enjoy it while you can! it slips by, oh so quickly.


Doreen in Montreal single mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan

Donna said...

Melissa, I can't believe you and Kathy are both finally in China!! It was such a long time coming. Soak up every bit of Chinese culture that you can before you get Lily.

I can't wait to see you holding your beautiful little girl!

Donna :)

Anonymous said...

HI Guys!!! I am glad you are having fun sightseeing! The pictures are awesome. I am bummed you didnt get to enjoy the pumpkin. I cant wait to see you in Beijing with the newest addition to the family! Skype me whenever. (ps how are you doing with the chopstick situation? I have been here a month and i am just now getting the hang of it haha)

Love Meg

Anonymous said...

love the notes from china and the pics. i am so excited for you both that i can hardly stand it!! i can't wait until tomorrow morning at 4am to get on the computer and see lily! ahhhhhhh miss you see you soon
the hardimans

Anonymous said...

We're thrilled to see your posts. The anticipation is building! I can NOT wait to check tomorrow. Everyone seems to be well here...no worries! We can't wait to hear more and see the pictures of you holding your baby lily!
The Hazels
xo