Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Referral Day







Yesterday was probably one of the best days of our lives! It started early. I awoke at 5:00 and checked rumors - there was nothing. Back to bed until 7:00 and then the first rumor appeared; packages in Europe. Knowing packages were in Europe combined with another rumor made me about 95% sure referrals were coming! Pat cancelled a meeting and we hunkered down waiting for the call. The first part of the morning went well and we were able to keep ourselves busy but by 10:30 we were going crazy! I watched a little Olympics, I checked in with Kathy and Dave (2 other couples who will be traveling with us), I checked my e mail and RQ and Pat and I just stared at each other. The kitchen island was ready with every gadget: camera, laptop, voice recorder, "the call" sheet, pen, pencil, 2 phones, and 2 cell phones! Finally at 11:42 the phone rang and my social workers name appeared! OMG this is it! I answered the phone and Pat started the recording. I call the boys upstairs "This is the call!" and they ran up to share in this moment. Erin, my social worker, wanted to make sure I was ready, "Do you need a pen?", she asked. Are you kidding me! Of course I am ready! She tells us we have a baby girl and then she tells us her name; Yue Mei Chun. This was amazing and already I know this child was meant for us. When we started the process, 3+ years ago we called Lily "Mei Mei" meaning little sister. Mei Mei then turned into Lily Mei. I remember my g.mother calling her Lily Mei and I had to explain that was not her name! We would have her middle name be whatever her Chinese name was. Well 3+ years later we now have a Lily Mei Chun!! The social worker then gave us her DOB; 2/5/08. I really lost it here; OMG she is a baby at just 6 months old! I was prepared for a baby between 6 - 18 months but really thought she would be 10 months at referral. I was shocked again. She is a February baby just like her mom (2/10), her dad (2/27), her uncle (2/6), her cousin (2/15), her papa (2/25) and her nana (2/28). Another red thread! She was born just 10 days before her baby cousin Tommy! I have spent a lot of time with Tommy this summer and have watched him grow and change, I can't believe he is the same age as our little girl in China!! Finally, the social worker told us she was in the Jiangxi Province. This is the same province as 2 of the "99" (our close friends who came home in December) babies. The call ended and Pat and I both called our moms and then I spoke to Dave and Sandy. Wren was born 6 days before Lily and is in the same orphanage!! I spoke to Kathy and Emma is 18 months old and also in the same orphanage! This is truly a gift. The 6 of us have formed a nice friendship during this wait and it is so unbelievable our girls have spent their short lives together. They will be together forever!!

After the e - mails were sent and phone calls made we took the boys to Build a Bear. They both made bears for Lily. Shea made a Patriots cheerleader and Bryce made the Red Sox "green monster"! We can't "girly" up these boys!! I had to make a quick stop into Gymboree and buy a few small outfits. We headed home and by 4:15 the party began. Friends and family stopped by all evening and we enjoyed 3 visits from the Chinese food delivery man and 1 visit from the Pizza delivery! Lots of champagne was poured and drunk and a few beautiful toast were given. Patrick and I felt so blessed to be surrounded by our family and friends at such an exciting time for us.

We had taped "the call" on our I POD so we listened to that a few times during the day. I love hearing "the call", it brings the whole moment back and makes it feel all so real! By 10:00 I was exhausted, I can't believe how tiring the day was! It was an amazing emotional day and it couldn't have gone any better! I went to bed and just kept repeating her name "Lily Mei Chun". I couldn't wait to wake up this morning and start learning about her province and orphanage! I will save all that for another post!

I want you all to know that we have saved every message and comment that was left for us. They will be printed out and someday Lily will know how excited everybody was for her arrival. I have received some of the nicest comments from people I have never met, but then again the adoption community is made up of some of the most wonderful supportive people! For people still waiting, I can only say I hope you have the strength to continue with your journey. I pray for a speed up but I know that one day your pain from waiting will be replaced with pure joy and thankfulness!

I saved the BEST NEWS for last: We get Lily's picture tomorrow night at 5:00!! Check back and you will see Lily Mei Chun for the first time!!

23 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Congratulations from the momma of another "spicy" Jiangxi gal!!!!

Linda said...

Congrats...That red thread sure comes true. I cannot wait to see her picture. How happy I am for your family and the new Love that is being brought into it....Linda

Christine said...

Oh Melissa I am so happy for you! I am crying...your post was beautiful. I could feel your excitement and love for your little girl. After reading your post I feel like I have already seen her face. BUT of course! I can't wait to see her sweet face. :) Best Wishes and I hope you travel soon. What a beautiful family you have.

I hope we hear something tomorrow! I am going crazy! :)

Sarah said...

I'm all teary eyed reading about your special day! How very special!

Billy and Maggie said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful story. Reading it rekindles the excitement we feel as we wait for our referral. It brings to mind all I would want in place for our "CALL" Cant wait to see your baby girls face.
LID: 2-17-06

Shannon said...

Oh that was such a beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing all those wonderful details. I read the whole thing and balled the entire time. After pulling myself together I got my kids (ages 6 & 5) and read it to them too. They were particularly jazzed by the Build a Bear photo as those are our home teams too!I know our day will come but it is such a treat to be able to share in other people's referral days while we wait. Your daughter and my eldest have the same name ; ) It's a great name. I have also put myself on the wait list with Blogovers with Love after seeing your blog design the other day.

Congratulations to you and your beautiful family!
Shannon
LID 7/6/06

Marjorie said...

OMG!!! That means you will have pictures for the meeting tonight? I wasn't sure based on when you made the post. Either way, I'm so incredibly happy for all of you!!

Debbie said...

I can't wait to see her picture!! 5pm tomorrow can't come soon enough! I am sooooooooo happy for you guys!! So thrilled how she is the perfect Lily Mei for your family!!!

Bobbie said...

congrats! referral day is the best!

Carol said...

Congratulations!! Can't wait to see the photos!!!!

Kathy said...

Melissa and Pat,
We couldn't be any happier for you. I can't believe how young she is and I can't beleive that Emma is in the same orphanage. We are so lucky to be traveling together and to the same place. Also with Dave and Sandy. CONGRATULATIONS!
Love you guys
Kathy and Erik

Anonymous said...

If the suspense of waiting to see Lily tonight is anything like the suspense you've been under waiting for Referral Day OMG!!!

Doreen said...

A huge Congrats to you!!! I had goose bumps reading your post! Can't wait to see sweet Lily Mei's face.

Doreen in Montreal Mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan

Vicky said...

Congratulations !! Tears streaming down my face reading about your special day !! Look forward to seeing your daughters picture !!

Vicky
Long Island, NY

Lori said...

We're so happy for you guys ! Finally !

Hugs,
Lori
LID: 2.16.06

Anonymous said...

Missy and Pat ~

Congratulations~that story was amazing and I can picture it all, right down to the long awaited celebrating. What a long and emotional 3 years it's been, but now it will be filled with excitement and happiness. Lily is so lucky to have found such a wonderful family to call her their daughter. We are so happy for you and the boys. What an amazing journey you all are about to start. We can not wait to welcome Lily home.

the mommy said...

OH Melissa this is wonderful we are so happy for you...

Love ya
Susan

Alyson and Ford said...

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!!

She is beautiful! BEAUTIFUL!!!
Will you all be traveling with Dave and Sandy!?!
Again, congratulations!
peace
fm

Alyson and Ford said...

How shook up am I !?! You said you were traveling with Dave and Sandy and Kathy! Duh...
As you may know, it's hard to think straight right now :)
peace
fm

Tracy said...

I love your post, your excitement and all your fun red thread connections. :) You are making the most of this very exciting time, and your sweet girl is already so loved.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Melissa and family,

Lily is beautiful - nice to know there is a wonderful joy at the end of a long wait. Also wonderful to see other families from MA bringing home their babies.

Wishing you much happiness
Shannon
LID 11/21/06

Jenna said...

Crying, sobbing, reading your post. I'm so happy for you guys. What a lucky baby and a lucky family...

Anonymous said...

now that i finally have a computer i'm catching up on your blog and wiping away happy tears from the excitement! is she going to be a ladybug for halloween?!! :)